I adore this soup - so easy to make, delicious and satisfying. I've also made it with chunks of sweet potato added for a stand-alone meal soup.
The distinct flavors of fresh cilantro and curry powder, along with the unexpected addition of peanut butter, turn a simple tomato-based soup into something special. You can make it vegetarian by using vegetable broth.
From Gourmet, Feb. 2006, via Epicurious.
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons curry powder (preferably Madras)
- 1 (14-oz) can diced tomatoes in juice, chopped if large, reserving juice
- 1 3/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth (14 fl oz)
- 1 cup hot water
- 1/4 cup smooth peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Cook onion, salt, and pepper in oil in a 2- to 3-quart heavy saucepan over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add curry powder and cook, stirring frequently, 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes (with their juice) and broth and simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes.
- Stir hot water into peanut butter until smooth and add to soup.
- Simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes. Stir in cilantro before serving.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 259g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 131||71%|
|Total Fat 15.26g||19%|
|Saturated Fat 2.27g||9%|
|Trans Fat 0.18g|
|Total Carbs 8.42g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.6g||9%|