This was a real treat. It reminded me of delicious passed appetizer I had at a wedding reception a few years ago. The spicy sauce (not too hot) combines wonderfully with the slightly sweet coconut shrimp. Could be served equally well as an appetizer or entree.
- 1 1/2 pounds large or jumbo shrimp, peeled
- 1/2 cup flaked, sweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup panko (japanese bread crumbs)
- 1/3 cup corn starch
- 3 large egg whites, beaten lightly
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 8 tsp canola oil, divided
- cooking spray
- 1 tsp canola oil
- 2/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 tsp grated and peeled fresh ginger
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (12 oz) can mango nectar
- 1/4 scotch bonnet pepper, unseeded (can subs. jalapeno)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1/8 tsp salt
- To prepare sauce, heat a small sauce pan over medium high. Add 1 tsp oil to the pan and swirl to coat. Add onion, ginger, and garlic and saute 3 minutes, stirring. Add nectar and unseeded pepper and bring to a boil. Cook 10 minutes or until reduced to 3/4 cup. Remove from heat and stand 10 min. Place mixture in blender and process till smoother. Stir in juice and salt. Cool.
- Peel and devein shrimp leaving tails on.
- Place coconut in food processor and pulse a few times until finely chopped. Add panko and pulse to combine. Place coconut mixture in a shallow dish. Place egg whites in a shallow dish. Sprinkle shrimp evenly with 1/2 tsp salt. One at a time, dredge shrimp in corn starch, shaking off excess, dip in egg whites, then dredge in coconut/panko mixture and place on a staging plate.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium high, add 2 tsp of canola oil and swirl. Add 6-8 shrimp to the pan and coat tops of shrimp with cooking spray. Cook shirmp about 2 minutes on each side until done. Repeat procedure 3 times with remaining oil and shrimp.
- Serve shirmp with Mango sauce for dipping on the side.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 360g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 139||31%|
|Total Fat 15.72g||20%|
|Saturated Fat 3.04g||12%|
|Trans Fat 0.04g|
|Total Carbs 37.32g||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.9g||6%|