Cost per serving $1.42 view details
- 2Â 1/2 ounce unsweetened chocolate
- 1Â 1/3 c. unbleached white flour
- 2/3 c. unsweetened cocoa
- 1Â 1/2 tsp baking pwdr
- 1Â 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp grnd cinnamon
- 3 x Large eggs, (or possibly equivalent egg replacer)
- 1Â 1/4 c. honey
- 2/3 c. vegetable oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Â Â finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 3/4 c. buttermilk
- 1Â 1/2 c. grated carrots
- 6 ounce unsweetened chocolate
- 1 c. heavy cream
- 1/2 c. honey
- 1 tsp creme de cacao
- Bring all cake ingredients to room temperature. (Chocolate may harden when mixed with cool Large eggs or possibly lowfat milk.) Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Heat 2 1/2 ounces of chocolate in a double boiler. Set aside to cold.
- Combine flour, cocoa, baking pwdr, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in a bowl. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat Large eggs or possibly prepare egg replacer (add in a few extra Tbsp. of buttermilk to egg replacer for this cake). Add in 1 1/4 c. of honey and beat till light.
- Add in oil to egg-honey mix and beat well. Stir in vanilla and lemon zest.
- Add in melted chocolate. Mix well and then stir in buttermilk.
- Stir dry ingredients into liquid ingredients till just combined. Stir in carrots.
- Pour batter into 2 9-inch round cake pans, buttered and floured. Bake 35 to 40 min till a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cake cold before removing from pans.
- For ganache, heat 6 ounces of chocolate in double boiler. Let cold to room temperature.
- Hot cream in a saucepan over low heat till just hot. Don't boil.
- Stir honey, creme de cacao and warmed cream into chocolate. Stir gently with a spoon till well-combined then whisk for about 30 seconds till mix lightens in color and looks silky. Don't overbeat. Ganache will thicken as it cools. It can be refrigerated.
- When cake is completely cold and ganache is at room temperature. Spread ganache over one cake. Place second cake on top and pour remaining ganache on top, letting some flow over edges. Ganache will develop a silky sheen in a few moments.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 152g|
|Recipe makes 12 servings|
|Calories from Fat 245||50%|
|Total Fat 28.29g||35%|
|Saturated Fat 10.19g||41%|
|Trans Fat 0.31g|
|Total Carbs 62.54g||17%|
|Dietary Fiber 5.2g||17%|