This "Italian chili" is a bitey, spicy bit of heaven. With just the right amount of spices, wine and "heat" this hearty dish is sure to please even the most discriminating chili afficianado. It is a vegan dish but by using some earthy mushrooms the chili takes on a meaty tone that is delicious in every way!
- 1 Tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 green onions, sliced, including some green
- 3 cans (15 oz.) of cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (14.5 oz.) of diced tomatoes with juices
- 1 (8 oz.) package of sliced baby bella mushrooms
- 1 Tablespoon of dry Italian seasoning
- 2 Tablespoons of chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of Cayenne pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1 teaspoon of fennel seed, lightly toasted and crushed
- 1/2 cup of red wine**
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Heat a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add in the fennel seeds
- and "toast" until aromatic. Then, using a morter and pestil or other means, crush the seeds finely.
- In a medium soup pot or Dutch oven heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add onions, garlic, chili powder, fennel, salt, pepper, cayenne, and Italian seasoning. Cook, stirring until aromatic - about 1 minute.
- Add the mushrooms and wine and cook until the mushrooms are slightly tender, stirring the whole time - about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the beans and tomatoes with juices. Mix. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and allow to simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the liquid reduces a little and the chili becomes slightly thicker - about 15 minutes.
- Ladle into serving dishes and garnish with a sprig of parsley. As an option you may sprinkle Daiya shredded mozzarella vegan cheese on top before serving serving.
- ** I like Vina Borgia red wine and used it in this recipe. You may use this or Chianti or your favorite red as well.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 346g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 44||16%|
|Total Fat 4.91g||6%|
|Saturated Fat 0.96g||4%|
|Trans Fat 0.01g|
|Total Carbs 40.85g||11%|
|Dietary Fiber 14.7g||49%|