I used chicken breast tenderloins here. Fry chicken pieces in small amount of olive oil and butter on both sides until done, then remove to a platter to keep warm. Then.....
.....to pan drippings add pureed roasted red peppers and chopotle salsa, heat and then stir in cooked rice......
Starting with a recipe that won a contest sponsored by the USA Rice Federation, I took the liberty to substitute chicken for the original recipe’s fish (see “Useful Links” below for the Tilapia version.) Using prepared jars of red roasted peppers and chipotle salsa cuts down on the preparation, but certainly not the taste of this snappy Spanish entree.
- 1 12-ounce jar roasted red peppers, drained
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 Â½ pounds boneless skinless chicken (breast tenderloins, thighs, etc)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chipotle salsa (I used pineapple mango chipotle salsa)
- 4 cups cooked long grain brown rice (or white long grain)
- 3/4 cup shredded Manchego or fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- Â½ cup pitted kalamata olives, halved, plus a few extra for garnish if desired
- Place drained red peppers in blender or food processor; puree until smooth; set aside.
- Melt butter and oil together in large skillet over medium heat until hot.
- Meanwhile sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper evenly on both sides. Add to heated pan and cook 5 minutes on each side or until done (increase time if pieces are thick,). Remove chicken to platter and tent with foil to keep warm..
- To pan drippings, add pureed peppers and salsa; bring to a boil. Remove 1/4 cup of mixture and set aside.
- Stir rice into remaining mixture in skillet; cook until heated, stirring frequently.
- Add cheese and olives; cook 1 minute or until cheese melts.
- Spoon rice on platter around chicken; spoon reserved sauce on top. Garnish with additional olives if desired.
- Serves 6 = each 1/4 pound chicken and 2/3 cup rice (or serves 4 hungry-man portions.)
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 294g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 82||25%|
|Total Fat 9.26g||12%|
|Saturated Fat 3.76g||15%|
|Trans Fat 0.02g|
|Total Carbs 35.52g||9%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.9g||10%|