Rich, basic Cajun stew, many variations, here is a simple starter recipe.
Prep time: 45 minutes
Cook time: 360 minutes
Cost per serving $1.06 view details
- 1 stick butter (can substitute peanut oil)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons Paul Prudhomme's Chicken Magic pre-mixed cajun spice, or similar, found in spice aisle at most grocery stores.
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 3-4 red and green bell peppers, chopped
- 1 bunch celery, chopped, include leaves
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 whole chicken, 3-4 pounds
- 2 pounds andouille smoked sausage
- steamed rice
- French Bread
- 1. One day ahead: put chicken in large pot, add water to cover, poach over low-medium heat (simmer) for 2 hours; reserve broth.
- 2. Cool chicken; remove from pot and shred chicken meat by hand, removing all bones and cartilage (skin may be included or discarded according to taste).
- 3. Thinly slice sausage.
- 4. Melt butter in large stew pot, add flour, cook over medium-high heat stirring constantly until dark brown (this is a roux, the base for gumbo and many sauces).
- 5. Add all the chopped (bite-sized) vegetables to the pan and continue cooking at medium heat, stirring regularly, until softened (about 5-7 minutes).
- 6. Add cajun spices and garlic and stir briefly, then add reserved chicken stock, about 64 ounzes. NOTE: Canned stock may be substituted, as well as any boneless cooked chicken meat, at least 2 pounds, even leftovers - but prepping your own ahead is easy enough!)
- 7. Bring to a boil; add chicken meat and sausage, turn heat to low and simmer for at least 2 hours, up to 4-5 hours, it just gets better the longer it simmers.
- 8. Steam 8 servings of rice about 30 minutes before serving.
- 9. Serve in large bowls, place 1/2 cup or so of rice (i.e., one serving) in bottom of each bowl first, then ladle Gumbo generously on top. Serve with French Bread.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 271g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 313||63%|
|Total Fat 34.99g||44%|
|Saturated Fat 13.99g||56%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 13.49g||4%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.8g||6%|