Dark rich style gumbo.
Have all veggies, seasons, chicken and sausage prepared and ready before you start the roux. Be very careful not to burn roux if you smell it burning throw it out. Do not try to salvage.
7-8 Qt (#12) cast iron dutch oven.
Put in bowl over rice or potato sald.
- 2 quarts chicken broth (bubbling hot)
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1 1/4 cups vegetable oil
- 2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium bell pepper, chopped
- 6 toes garlic, minced
- 3 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breast,boneless
- 1 pound chicken thighs
- 2 pounds smoked sausage
- 3 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 whole bay leaves
- 3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon gumbo file, (optional)
- 1/2 cup white wine (I like a good Chardonnay)
- Have Chicken broth hot and ready to add to roux. Note: You may have to add hot water if the broth is not enough liquid. (if you like your gumbo thin add hot water after all ingredients are combined)
- Make da Roux: Mix 1 1/4 cups flour, 1 1/4 cups vegetable oil Mix above ingredients together in cast iron pot. Cook slowly until it turns black/brown. Stir constantly (about 30 minutes).
- Slowly add chopped onion, bell pepper, garlic, and celery to roux (after it has turn black/brown) and stir until vegetables are soft, about 15 minutes.
- Add hot chicken broth slowly, about 2 - 3 cups at a time, stirring constantly so roux mixture does not become lumpy.
- Chicken (prepared ahead of time)Lightly sprinkle each side with salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and (very lightly) flour. Preheat another skillet and add 1/4 inch vegetable oil and heat. Brown chicken in oil and set aside on paper towels to drain. Chicken does not have to be cooked at this point, just browned, it will cook the rest of the way once it is added to the roux mixture. Dump oil out of skillet, leaving crispies in skillet, and return to stove.
- Add 1/2 cup white wine to skillet and stir on high to deglaze the pan (about 1 minute).
- Add deglazed liquid to roux mixture.
- Debone browned chicken and cut chicken & smoked sausage into bite size pieces.
- add chicken & sausage into roux mixture.
- Add remaining seasonings stirring well.
- Cover and cook slowly(very low bubble) for 2 - 3 hours. Serve over rice or potato salad.
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 4674g|
|Calories from Fat 5566||71%|
|Total Fat 622.69g||778%|
|Saturated Fat 131.36g||525%|
|Trans Fat 10.38g|
|Total Carbs 160.65g||43%|
|Dietary Fiber 20.4g||68%|