Cherry Wink Classic Cookies won the Grand Prize in the Pillsbury 2nd Bake-off in the 1950s - you can recreate this treat with regular or gluten-free flours today
Dates, pecans, maraschino cherries blended into a vanilla-scented batter will bring back the best of days gone by...
After rolling every spoonful of the now-complete cookie dough in the crushed cornflakes, bake on a greased sheet for about 15 minutes, then rack 'em to cool
Serve Cherry Winks to family, friends or guests and you'll be amazed at the joy you will bring to others!
This is the original recipe for a cookie that won the 2nd Pillsbury Bake Off. They contain dates, pecans, maraschino cherries, cornflakes and a kiss of vanilla extract. I have followed the original recipe but you G-F members will see my modifications for you in the Ingredints below.
I've adapted the recipe for gluten intolerant folks - you'll love it! I get requests for these and so will you.
There will be grammas and grampas out there who remember a mom, grandmother, or aunt who made these tasty, crunchy, chewy cookies for an after school treat back in the 1950s.
This will be a very pleasant forced march down memory lane for most folks. It's a huge hit with young and old.
- 2-1/2 cups flour (GF: King Arthur works great, CIA #2 is excellent)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 C shortening (I use lard)
- 1 C granulated suger
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tbs milk
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 C chopped dates
- 1 C chopped pecans
- 1/3 C maraschino cherries, chopped + 12 cherries, quartered
- 2-1/2 C cornflakes, crushed (G-F: Nature's Path Mesa Sunrise (corn, flax,quinoa & amaranth)
- the flour, salt, soda and baking powder together & set aside
- the shortening, sugar
- the eggs and blend with the shortening and sugar mixture
- Then add
- the milk and vanilla
- the flour into the liquid mixture
- the pecans, dates and chopped cherries
- Mix thoroughly
- Crush the cornflakes
- Drop the teaspoonfuls of dough intot the cornflakes and roll to coat
- Place on a greased cookie sheet gently press a 1/4 slice of cherry in the middle of each cookie (the Wink)
- Bake at 350^ for 15 minutes
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 250g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 455||45%|
|Total Fat 52.04g||65%|
|Saturated Fat 10.71g||43%|
|Trans Fat 12.85g|
|Total Carbs 127.24g||34%|
|Dietary Fiber 8.7g||29%|