This is a print preview of "Cherry Winks ~ Classic Cookies" recipe.
Cherry Winks ~ Classic Cookies Recipe
This is the original recipe for a cookie that won the 2nd Pillsbury Bake Off. They contain dates, pecans, maraschino cherries, cornflakes and a kiss of vanilla extract. I have followed the original recipe but you G-F members will see my modifications for you in the Ingredints below.
I've adapted the recipe for gluten intolerant folks - you'll love it! I get requests for these and so will you.
There will be grammas and grampas out there who remember a mom, grandmother, or aunt who made these tasty, crunchy, chewy cookies for an after school treat back in the 1950s.
This will be a very pleasant forced march down memory lane for most folks. It's a huge hit with young and old.
|Prep time: 15 minutes
|Cook time: 15 minutes
||Servings: 4 dozen
2-1/2 cups flour (GF: King Arthur works great, CIA #2 is excellent)
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 C shortening (I use lard)
1 C granulated suger
1 Tbs milk
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 C chopped dates
1 C chopped pecans
1/3 C maraschino cherries, chopped + 12 cherries, quartered
2-1/2 C cornflakes, crushed (G-F: Nature's Path Mesa Sunrise (corn, flax,quinoa & amaranth)
- the flour, salt, soda and baking powder together & set aside
- the shortening, sugar
- the eggs and blend with the shortening and sugar mixture
- Then add
- the milk and vanilla
- the flour into the liquid mixture
- the pecans, dates and chopped cherries
- Mix thoroughly
- Crush the cornflakes
- Drop the teaspoonfuls of dough intot the cornflakes and roll to coat
- Place on a greased cookie sheet gently press a 1/4 slice of cherry in the middle of each cookie (the Wink)
- Bake at 350^ for 15 minutes