This week at the Farmer's market I ended up buying a lot of cherries, I just love'em!!
And we were going to a friends house too, so whats better than a Cherry pie!! As I had a lot of blueberries in my fridge too, I thought why not add some tartness from the blueberries in my cherry pie too...Also to make things a bit more easy, I used a graham cracker Pie crust bought form the supermarket :-)
Its a beautiful dessert and can be served warm or cold with some whipped cream or vanilla icecream!!!
- 9inch Graham cracker Pie crust - 1
- Cherries (pitted)- 3cups
- Blueberries - 1cup
- All purpose flour - 1/2 cup
- Sugar - 1 cup
- Vanilla extract - 1tsp
- Cinnamon powder - 1/2 tsp
- Almond extract - 1/2 tsp (optional)
- Butter - 3 tbsp
- To make Lattice pie crust:
- All purpose flour - 1 cup
- Sugar - 1/2 cup
- Cold Butter cubes- 2tbsp
- Ice water
- Egg white - to brush over the lattice crust top
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- For the Lattice crust knead together the all purpose flour, cold butter , sugar with ice cold water. Make a smooth pie dough and place it in the fridge or freezer.
- In a bowl mix together the Cherries and Blueberries, all purpose flour, sugar, cinnamon powder, vanilla and almond extract and keep aside for 10-15mins. (This helps the fruits to mix with the sugar well)
- Fill the fruit mixture into the pie crust and cut the butter into small cubes and scatter it on the pie filling.
- Remove the pie dough from the fridge/freezer(It's easier to work with the dough if it is chilled) . On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pie dough to about 12 inches.
- Cut into strips with even thickness and arrange them around your pie dish with some space between each strip (around 5strips on one side)
- Then place another 5-6 strips perpendicular to the earlier placed strips. Cut off any excess length in the strips and fold and pinch together the tips on the pie dish. (If any pie dough is left over you may freeze it or simply line it around your pie dish)
- Lightly brush some egg white on the lattice crust and sprinkle some sugar on top.
- Cover the edges around your pie dish with aluminium foil leaving the centre open( this is to prevent the edges from burning) and place the Pie in the middle rack of your oven.
- Bake for 40mins and then remove the foil and bake for another 15mins or until you see the cherry-blueberry filling bubbling and have a nice brown pie crust.
- Place it on a cooling rack once done and cut into slices and serve with whipped cream or icecream, or enjoy it just as it is!
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 169g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 206||37%|
|Total Fat 23.36g||29%|
|Saturated Fat 13.85g||55%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 83.87g||22%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.9g||6%|