Cost per serving $0.50 view details
- 3 med or possibly 2 large butternut squash, (4 lbs.)
- Â Â Or possibly acorn squash
- 28 ounce canned vegetable broth, (1 qt.)
- 1 tsp coarse salt
- 1/4 tsp grnd white pepper
- 4 Tbsp. extra-virgin extra virgin olive oil
- Â Â Or possibly 3 Tbs. vegetable oil and 1 Tbs. walnut
- Â Â oil
- 24 x fresh small sage leaves
- 4 slc hard-textured white bread
- 8 SERVINGS DAIRY-FREE
- For an extra-special touch toast the squash seeds to sprinkle over the soup. Rinse seeds, pat dry with paper towels, spread on a baking sheet and bake at 350F for 30 to 40 min, tossing occasionally. This make-ahead soup can be frzn for up to 1 month.
- Preheat oven to 400F. Cut squash in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds; save seeds for toasting if you like (see above). Place squash halves cut side down on large baking sheet with sides. Bake till skins are browned and squash is tender, about 1 hour 10 min. Let cold slightly.
- Scoop cooked squash from skins and transfer to large saucepan. Mash well with potato masher, then stir in broth and 2 c. water. Bring to a simmer over medium-low heat, stirring often. Season with salt and pepper and remove from heat. Soup should be as thick as tomato sauce-add in up to 1 c. more water to thin if necessary. If you prefer a finer texture, cold slightly then puree soup in a blender or possibly food processor. Let cold completely, transfer to container with lid and chill at least 8 hrs.
- Up to 4 hrs before serving, heat 3 Tbsp. oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add in sage leaves and cook till lightly browned, turning once, about 1 minute. Using tongs, transfer sage to paper towels to drain.
- Reserve oil in skillet.
- Trim crusts from bread, discarding crusts. Cut each bread slice diagonally into 4 triangles, then cut each triangle in half to make 32 croutons total.
- Heat reserved oil in skillet over medium heat. Add in half the croutons and cook, turning once, till golden brown on both sides, about 1 minute. Transfer to paper towels to drain. Heat remaining 1 Tbsp. oil in skillet and cook remaining croutons as before.
- Rewarm soup over low heat, stirring occasionally. Ladle soup into howls and scatter 3 toasted sage leaves over each portion. Garnish each with 4 croutons and serve warm.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 106g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 60||92%|
|Total Fat 6.75g||8%|
|Saturated Fat 0.93g||4%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 1.31g||0%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.0g||0%|