Cost per recipe $10.90 view details
- 1 whole chicken (4-5 lbs)
- 3 carrots roughly chopped
- 1 large onion quartered
- 4 celery stalks roughly chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic whole (no need to peel)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2-3 sprigs fresh thyme
- small bunch fresh parsley stems
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp. fresh black peppercorns
- In order to not be wasteful (and because I like roast chicken dammit) I buy a whole chicken and prepare it roasted.
- For the roast:
- Heat oven to 450 degrees.
- layer bottom or roasting pan with 2 of the carrots, onion, 2 celery stalks and the garlic.
- Toss the vegetables with the olive oil.
- Lay your chicken (prepared as you prefer) on top of the veggies.
- Place in oven.
- Cook at 450 for 15 mins.
- Reduce heat (without removing chicken) to 350 degrees and continue to roast for 45 mins or until juices run clear.
- Save the carrot, onion, celery, garlic for the stock.
- Save any leftover bits of fat, meat from the carcass.
- Cut the bones of the carcass into manageable 1-2 inch sized pieces.
- In a large stockpot heat 1 tbsp. olive oil
- When oil is hot add bones and roast on all sides until well browned.
- Add one cup water and deglaze pot, removing any bits stuck to the bottom.
- Add vegetables from roast.
- Optional: Add another fresh carrot, celery, onion.
- Fill pot with water to cover ingredients.
- Bring to a boil.
- Remove any scum that forms on surface.
- Add herbs and peppercorns.
- Reduce heat to simmer.
- Partially cover and simmer for up to three hours.
- Let cool and strain.
- Pour stock into jars.
- Keep in refrigerator up to a week or freezer up to three months.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 1774g|
|Calories from Fat 2165||65%|
|Total Fat 241.16g||301%|
|Saturated Fat 60.97g||244%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 41.45g||11%|
|Dietary Fiber 12.5g||42%|