Cost per serving $1.43 view details
- 1 x 3-lb. chicken, cut up
- Â Â Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 Tbsp. Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lrg Yellow onion, coarsely minced
- 2 x Cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1/2 tsp Dry oregano
- 1/2 tsp Dry basil
- 1/2 tsp Sugar
- 1/2 c. Water
- 1 can (16 ounce) tomato sauce
- Pull any loose fat off the chicken and throw away. Sat and pepper the pcs generously. In a large stewpot, heat the oil, then brown the chicken on all sides, turning the pcs from time to time till golden brown (about 15 min).
- Whikle the chicken is browning, add in the onion, garlic and the herbs, browning them along with the bird. Sprinkle sugar over the onions about half way through. Stir and move everything around in the skillet, turning the bird and scarping up the brown bits taht cling to the bottom of the pan. Add in a little water, scarping it till it's almost evaporated and a golden liquid bubbles.
- Then pour the tomato sauce over the bird, lower the temperature to simmer, cover, and cook till the chicken is done and the sauce is a catsuplike consistency (about 45 min.) Add in Tbsp. of water as needed to keep from cooking dry. Turn te chicken pcs occasionally.
- Serve the chicken and sauce over rice or possibly pasta. Garnish each serving with a sprig of parsley if you've got it.
- NOTES : Feed your Family Fast, Healthy Meals on $10 a Day by Linda Eckhardt
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 425g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 376||62%|
|Total Fat 41.86g||52%|
|Saturated Fat 10.96g||44%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 10.78g||3%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.5g||8%|