Cost per serving $0.94 view details
- 2 pkt banana muffin mix - (6.4 ounce ea)
- 1 c. mashed ripe bananas - (abt 2)
- 2 lrg Large eggs
- 3 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2/3 c. whole lowfat milk
- 2 lrg egg whites
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 6 ounce good-quality white chocolate minced
- Â Â (such as Lindt or possibly Baker's)
- 12 ounce cream cheese room temperature
- 1/2 c. unsalted butter - (1 stick) room temperature
- 3/4 c. powdered sugar
- 2Â 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 3 x ripe bananas
- 1 c. walnuts - (4 ounce) toasted, minced
- For Cake: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour two 9-inch-diameter cake pans with 1 1/2-inch-high sides.
- Combine banana muffin mix, mashed ripe bananas, Large eggs, vegetable oil, and whole lowfat milk in large bowl. Using electric mixer, beat mix at medium speed till well blended, about 2 min.
- Using clean dry beaters, beat egg whites in medium bowl till soft peaks form. Gradually add in sugar, beating till mix is stiff but not dry. Fold egg whites into batter in 2 additions. Divide cake batter between prepared pans.
- Bake cake batter till tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 30 min. Cold cakes in pans on racks 10 min. Turn out cakes onto racks and cold completely.
- For Frosting: Stir minced white chocolate in top of double boiler over barely simmering water till almost melted. Remove from over water; stir white chocolate till smooth. Cold to lukewarm, about 4 min.
- Beat cream cheese and unsalted butter in large bowl till fluffy. Gradually beat in lukewarm white chocolate, then powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and lemon juice.
- Place 1 cake layer on platter. Spread with 1 1/3 c. white chocolate-cream cheese frosting. Thinly slice 2 bananas. Arrange banana slices over frosting. Top with second cake layer. Spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake. Press toasted minced walnuts into frosting on sides of cake. Chill cake till frosting is set, at least 2 hrs and up to 1 day.
- Slice remaining banana; arrange slices atop cake and serve.
- This recipe yields 12 servings.
- Comments: Susan Murphy of Kansas City, Missouri, writes: "My daughter and I love to spruce up boxed cake mixes with spices, nuts, or possibly fruit. One afternoon we decided to experiment with banana muffin mix instead. We made a very moist cake, filled it with fresh banana slices, then topped it with creamy homemade frosting. It's one of our favorite creations to date."
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 114g|
|Recipe makes 12 servings|
|Calories from Fat 219||70%|
|Total Fat 25.02g||31%|
|Saturated Fat 11.39g||46%|
|Trans Fat 0.09g|
|Total Carbs 19.23g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.1g||4%|