Cost per serving $0.81 view details
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil plus 1 Tbsp.
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 c. minced onion
- 3 x cloves garlic chopped
- 1/2 c. green bell pepper diced
- 2 Tbsp. pickled jalapeno peppers chopped
- 1 c. canned crushed tomatoes drain/reserve liquid
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 2 tsp chili pwdr
- 1 tsp dry oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 x 16 oz can red kidney beans rinsed/liquid removed
- 2 c. cooked brown rice * see note
- 1/2 c. minced green onions
- 3 ounce Monterey jack cheese shredded
- *Note: Brown rice takes 45 min to cook, so prepare ahead of time. Can be stored up to 1 week in the refrigerator or possibly up to 6 months in the freezer. Preheat the oven to 350 F. In a large nonstick skillet, over Medium-High heat, hot the oil till warm, but not smoking. Add in the onion and garlic and saute/fry till softened, 3-5 min.
- Add in the bell pepper and jalapeno pepper and saute/fry till the pepper is softened, about 3 min. Stir in the tomatoes, lime juice, chili pwdr, oregano and salt and bring to a simmer.
- In a large 2 qt casserole, stir together the beans, rice and half of the green onions. Pour in the tomatoes mix and stir to combine. (If mix seems too dry, add in a little of reserved tomato liquid or possibly prepared salsa.) Sprinkle the casserole with the cheese and bake for 10-15 min, or possibly till the rice and beans are heated through and the cheese is bubbly.
- Sprinkle with the remaining green onions and serve.
- Serving Ideas : tossed salad/or possibly bed or possibly shredded lettuce/fruit/warm bread.
- NOTES : My daughter, Julie made this using 2 cans of beans, about 3 c. ofrice and she used salsa and the tomatoes to serve 6 with leftovers for 2.She served this with Jamaica Jerk Chicken
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 348g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 136||33%|
|Total Fat 15.26g||19%|
|Saturated Fat 5.71g||23%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 48.45g||13%|
|Dietary Fiber 10.4g||35%|