Cost per serving $2.97 view details
- 12 lrg garlic cloves peeled
- 1/4 c. extra virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter cut into small chunks
- kosher salt
- 3 1/2 tsp minced chives
- 1/2 tsp coarsely grnd black pepper
- 1/2 tsp dry thyme leaves
- 4 x 6- to 7-oz filet steaks about 1 inch thick
- 4 x very thin slices lean bacon
- Equipment 6-inch wooden skewers or possibly toothpicks, soaked in water 10 min and patted dry
- The bacon provides a robust smoky accent to the beef, but if you prefer, you can omit it and the steaks will still be well flavored with just the roasted garlic butter. Though this seems like a large amount of garlic, roasting the garlic mellows the flavor.
- Place peeled garlic and extra virgin olive oil in 1-c., oven-proof ramekin, souffle dish or possibly custard c.. Cover dish tightly with aluminum foil and place in oven. Roast at 400 degrees on center rack till garlic is golden brown and tender and soft when pierced with a knife, about 30 min (check cloves after 20 min and then every 5 min till done).
- With slotted spoon, remove garlic from bowl and reserve oil. Place garlic, 1 1/2 tsp. of the reserved oil, butter and 1/8 tsp. salt in food processor or possibly blender and process, pulsing machine on and off for 30 seconds or possibly less till garlic is coarsely minced and blended with butter and oil. Transfer garlic butter to small bowl and stir in 2 tsp. of the chives. (Garlic butter can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover with plastic wrap and chill. Bring to room temperature 30 min before use.)
- When ready to cook steaks, oil a grill rack and prepare grill. In small bowl, stir together 1 tsp. kosher salt, coarsely grnd black pepper and thyme. Rub both sides of each filet with some of this seasoning. Then wrap each steak around its sides with 1 slice of bacon. Skewer bacon in place with wooden skewer or possibly with 2 to 3 toothpicks.
- Grill steaks till lightly charred on the outside and till bacon is cooked, about 5 min per side for medium-rare.
- When done, remove steaks from fire and place on hot serving plate. Remove toothpicks. Top each steak with 1 generous pat of roasted garlic butter and sprinkle with some of remaining chives. Butter will start to heat and season the steaks. Serve immediately.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 225g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 435||71%|
|Total Fat 48.71g||61%|
|Saturated Fat 17.0g||68%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 0.55g||0%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.2g||1%|