This is my favorite turkey for thanksgiving. It’s savory and delightful. The onions, shallots, carrots and celery infuse the turkey and the juices in the bottom of the pan with a wonderful flavor. I personally like spicy food – that’s why I use garlic, chili powder, and paprika to make my turkey. The paprika on top also adds a nice coloring to the bird when it finishes. Be sure to reserve all the juices at the bottom of the pan for one great gravy!
- 1 (12 pound) whole turkey
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons garlic
- 3 tablespoons of chili powder
- 3 tablespoons of paprika, separated
- 2 large onions, cut into large rough pieces
- 3 whole shallots, cut in half
- 6 stalks of celery, rinsed
- 6 large carrots, rinsed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Rinse and wash turkey. Clean out the turkey's cavity. Remove the innards and disregard (I usually cook mine and feed them to a pet).
- Mix butter, garlic powder, chili powder, and 2 tablespoons paprika. Separate the butter mixture into four equal parts.
- Place your six stalks of celery (I recommend using the large outer pieces) and carrots in the bottom of a roasting pan. Place turkey in a roasting pan on top of the celery and carrots.
- Stuff the turkey with the cut onions and shallots.
- Separate the skin over the breast to make little pockets. Put one part of the butter mix under the skin over each breast. Use the rest of the reserved butter to spread over the whole outside of the turkey.
- Season the top of the turkey with salt and pepper. Use the remaining paprika to sprinkle over the top of the turkey.
- Cover with foil, and bake in the preheated oven 3 1/2 to 4 hours, until the internal temperature of the turkey reaches 180 degrees F (80 degrees C). For the last 45 minutes or so, remove the foil so the turkey will brown nicely.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 293g|
|Recipe makes 16 servings|
|Calories from Fat 114||32%|
|Total Fat 12.78g||16%|
|Saturated Fat 5.9g||24%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 6.23g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.2g||7%|