Cost per serving $2.56 view details
- 1 sm ripe tomato seeded and minced
- 1/2 sm jalapeno chopped
- 1/2 whl avocado small chop lemon juice sprayed on avocado
- 1/2 whl cucumber peeled and minced
- 2 Tbsp. fat-free vinaigrette with red bell peppers store bought
- 1 c. shredded lettuce
- 1/2 lb grnd turkey breast leanest
- 1/4 c. graham cracker crumbs
- 1/4 c. matzo meal
- 1 sm zucchini washed and stemmed
- 1/4 c. minced sweet onion
- 1 pch garlic salt
- 1 pch Coriander Cohert see recipe
- 1/2 c. seltzer water divided use vegetable cooking spray or possibly
- 1 tsp virgin extra virgin olive oil
- 1 x clove garlic smashed
- 30 ounce stewed tomatoes (2 cans) with Mexican spices
- 1/2 sm jalapeno or possibly less to taste
- 15 ounce lowfat chicken broth low salt
- 1/4 tsp oregano Mexican
- 1 lrg carrot julienned
- 1 lrg celery stalk see detail
- 1 sm zucchini see detail
- 2 Tbsp. minced fresh cilantro white corn chips restaurant style
- 3 tsp lowfat Monterey jack cheese shredded
- **For the SALSA: Make the salsa by combining all but the lettuce. Chill.
- Combine with lettuce closer to serving time.
- **For the MEATBALLS: Crumble grnd turkey breast meat in a bowl with the crackers, but don't mix yet. Process zucchini and onion using the Fine Shredding disk. Transfer to the bowl. Add in pinches of garlic pwdr and the Coriander Cohort Blend (see pantry). Add in half the seltzer to the meat mix and combine; add in more seltzer as needed to bind and fluff. Shape into 1 to 1-1/4-inch balls and brown in a large, oiled, skillet over mediumhigh till golden brown and/or possibly slightly burned for a 'grilled' flavor. Don't crowd the meatballs.
- TIP: two batches, and/or possibly second pan.
- **For the Soup Base: Meanwhile put canned tomatoes, garlic clove and a portion of the stemmed and seeded roughly-minced jalapeno in processor fitted with metal blade and pulse to make a chunky sauce. Add in more jalapeno to taste.
- SLOW COOK (4 hours on #4 and 5): Transfer the sauce to a 4-qt slow cooker
- (oblong). Set dial to 5; add in the broth and oregano. Heat. Transfer the meat balls to the cooker and bring to a gentle boil. Boil for about 10 min. Reset dial to 4; cook covered for 3 hours, then add in the vegetables.
- Cook for 45 to 60 min.
- TIP: For tender-crisp zucchini, add in it during the last 10 mins. Add in minced cilantro near the end of the time so which itwarms.
- Detail: Julienne the carrot into 1/4-inch by 1 to 1-1/2-inch sticks. Cut the celery, once, lengthwise; then diagonally slice 1/4-inch pcs. Trim the stem and tip from the washed zucchini; cut into fourths lengthwise thencube.
- Pantry: canned ready to use minced tomatoes, pre-seasoned may be used, butwe preferred the flavor of the pre-cooked (stewed) tomatoes.* Keep a jar of Coriander Cohort on hand: grind equal parts of pan roasted cumin seed, coriander seed and black peppercorns (created by Steve Raichlen).
- To plate: Place the desired amount of crumbled corn chips in a large shallow bowl. Sprinkle with a little cheese. Ladle on the soup (about 1-1/2to 1-2/3 c. broth per serving; apportion the meatballs and vegetables.
- Serve with salad, that may be used as a relish directly on the soup.
- Variation: FAST COOK (60 mins): Transfer sauce to a soup pot and heat to a gentle, steady boil. Transfer meatballs to the broth and reduce heat to asimmer (Medium, to medium low); cook meat 35 min. Add in carrots and celery; cook 5 mins. Add in zucchini cook 4 to 5 mins. Add in cilantro and cook about 2 mins. Serve.
- DESCRIPTION: Zucchini is one of our favorites. Here they are teamed with a bright-red tomato sauce which clings to light and fluffy meatballs.
- Pepper-scale is mild to moderate. Time Half day in the slow cooker or possibly an hour on the stove top.
- Serves 2 to 4
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 717g|
|Recipe makes 3 servings|
|Calories from Fat 77||29%|
|Total Fat 8.69g||11%|
|Saturated Fat 1.6g||6%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 44.03g||12%|
|Dietary Fiber 7.8g||26%|