United States Chef
Sandy EverydaySouthwest Profile
Everyday food with a Southwest flair
I spent eleven years as a stay at home mom before entering my second favorite profession... Elementary Education. Recently, I have gone back to school to see what else I can be. I am working towards degrees in Journalism and Culinary Arts and hope to combine the two fields into a dream job as a world traveling food writer.
Currently, I am the food editor for the Paradise Valley Puma Press.
I come from five generations of Arizona women. My cooking style is strongly influenced by my family, my heritage and my home state of Arizona which has a distinctive culinary point of view all its own.
I have been lucky enough to take culinary classes from great Southwest chefs such as James Beard Award winning Chef Robert McGrath and James Beard Award Nominees Chef Mark Tarbell and Chef Silvana Salcido Esparza. These classes began as a hobby that keep growing and growing and...
Chefs I recommend
- Robert McGrath (Scottsdale, AZ)
- James Beard Award Best Chef Southwest. Chef McGrath is the very best in cowboy cooking.
- Mark Tarbell (Phoenix, AZ)
- James Beard Award Nominee Chef Tarbell uses fresh, organic ingredients to create a lighter style fine dining cuisine at his name sake restaurant, Tarbell's. You my know him from his victorious appearance on the Food Network's Iron Chef. He defeated Chef Cat Cora in battle apple.
- Silvana Salcido Esparza (Phoenix, AZ)
- It's about time Chef Esparza received recognition for her authentic Mexican Cuisine. She is a James Beard Award Nominee for 2010 but has been a Phoenix treasure for years.
Restaurants I Recommend
- Renegade Canteen (Scottsdale, AZ)
- Chef Robert McGrath's newest adventure. Renegade serves McGrath's American Western cuisine with a decidedly lighter touch. The upscale restaurant reflects the rustic elegance of the cuisine.
- Tarbell's (Phoenix, AZ)
- Tarbell's features the light and organic cooking style of its owner, Chef Mark Tarbell. Their award winning wine list complements everything from house-made pastas to grilled organic Irish salmon. The large, maple wood bar and exhibition kitchen make Tarbell's a friendly and inviting neighborhood restaurant.
- Barrio Cafe (Phoenix, AZ)
- The Barrio Cafe is located in the heart of Phoenix. Chef-Owner Silvana Salcido Esparza proudly offers her authentic Mexican cuisine in an atmosphere filled with the paintings and music of local Latin-American artists. The Barrio Cafe is a Phoenix favorite so, come early for a seat on the weekends and enjoy one of the Barrio's 250 tequilas while listening to the live music.
Leave a comment
Sign Up — Free Membership it's free!
DailyCandy, Trendhunter, Eater, LaunchSquad, Mashable, Killer Startups & San Jose Mercury News