United States Chef
Karen Harris Profile
I'll cook anything that won't cook me first
I'm an avid home cook that loves food writing and cooking contests. In 2004, I was invited to compete in the 41st Pillsbury Bake-Off. I left with a $10,000.00 category prize and a hunger for more. Since then I have won $10,000.00 in the Southern Living Cook-Off and $25,000.00 for the GP in the Ocean Spray Ultimate Recipe Contest, just to name a few. I have also had a guest spot on the Martha Stewart Show, preparing one of my award winning dishes with her. In addition to with my blog, I am presently writing a humorous article about my family's life while living in the UK along with an accompanying recipe for a expatriate magazine in London.
Without a doubt my biggest influences in the kitchen were the women in my family who were all fabulous cooks. While living in England and traveling throughout Europe, my eyes were opened to so many new foods that an insatiable curiosity born that still lives within me. I guess I'd call my style of cooking Modern American with Mexican and European influences. I also love to cook up a good curry every now and then.
- America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook (America's Test Kitchen)
- I have never cooked anything from this book that didn't come out just fantastic.
- Delia Smith's Complete Cookery Course (Delia Smith)
- A get real cookbook for home cooks
Restaurants I Recommend
- Laguna Tandoori (Nottingham, England)
- My all time favorite restaurant. The Chicken Tikka is the best I have ever eaten.
- Pappasito's (Houston)
- Usually chains aren't this good but some of the best Tex-Mex you'll ever eat is cooked up here.
- Mi Casa Restaurant (Yoakum)
- Even the remodel of this little dive a few years ago didn't change their menu or food (thank goodness). There's just something about walking through the kitchen to use the restroom that doubles as a broom closet that lets you know the food's going to be good and this place doesn't disappoint. This place gets my vote for the best Tex-Mex in south Texas. Oh yea, the good news is that with the remodel came a new ladies room.