Cost per recipe $1.22 view details
- 8 quart minced peeled, cored tomatoes (abt 48 large tomatoes)
- 1 1/2 c. minced sweet red peppers - (abt 3)
- 2 x bay leaves
- 1 Tbsp. salt
- 1 x garlic clove peeled-if you like
- Organize and prepare ingredients, equipment, and work area. In a large preserving kettle, cook tomatoes, peppers, bay leaves, and salt for 1 hour over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Press through a fine sieve and return to kettle. Throw away seeds and bay leaves. Add in garlic, if using, and continue to cook over medium to medium-low heat, stirring frequently, till tomato mix is thick sufficient to mound on a spoon, about 2 1/2 hrs. Remove garlic.
- Pour warm paste into warm half-pint jars to within 1/4-inch of tops. Run a slim, non metal tool down along the insides of jars to release any air bubbles. Add in additional paste, if necessary, to within 1/4-inch of tops.
- Wipe tops and threads of jars with damp clean cloth. Put on lids and screw bands as manufacturer directs. Process in a boiling water bath 45 min.
- This recipe yields about 9 half-pint jars.
- Yield: 9 half-pints
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 203g|
|Calories from Fat 3||7%|
|Total Fat 0.32g||0%|
|Saturated Fat 0.11g||0%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 9.37g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 3.2g||11%|