I promised my friends at our community Christmas Potluck that I'd post this perfect holiday pie recipe--an easy no-bake confection, tasty and fluffy. See recipe with pictures at Hill Country Mysteries: http://hillcountrymysteries.blogspot.com/2010/12/triple-coconut-cream-pie.html.
- Prepare crust first:
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup flour, less 2 tablespoons
- 2 tablespoons wheat germ**
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- wheat germ gives a nutty flavor but you can add 2 Tblsp. flour instead.
- 8 oz. cream cheese, room temp
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract, divided use
- 1 cup sugar, divided use
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups flaked coconut, divided use
- pinch salt
- Crust Directions:
- *Grease 9 inch pie pan.
- *In a skillet, melt butter over low heat.
- *Stir in remaining crust ingredients.
- *Turn heat up a bit and stir constantly until mixture is deep golden brown. (You want the flour to cook and the mixture to toast.)
- *Use a spoon to press the hot mixture into pie pan.
- *Set aside to cool. Crust will firm as it cools.
- Filling Directions:
- *Put 3/4 cup coconut in a dry skillet and toast until lightly browned, tossing frequently. Set aside to cool.
- *Whip cream, gradually adding 1 tsp vanilla and 1/2 cup sugar, whipping to stiff peaks. Set aside.
- *Beat cream cheese, 1/2 cup sugar, pinch salt and 1 tsp. vanilla until light and fluffy.
- *Fold cream cheese and 1 1/4 cups coconut into the whipped cream. Mound in cooled crust, swirling the top to a small center peak.
- *Sprinkle toasted coconut on top.
- *Refrigerate at least two hours to set filling.
- And last, follow my neighbors' lead and treat yourself to a few mouthfuls of sweet tangy coconutty celebration.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 154g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 366||59%|
|Total Fat 41.88g||52%|
|Saturated Fat 26.83g||107%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 58.16g||16%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.3g||8%|