This is a hearty soup that only takes about 1 hour from start to finish. I started looking at a Pork Posole recipe but did not have the time to thaw, cube, and brown the pork, but I did have a pound of ground beef in the fridge. I substituted 1 lb of ground beef for 2 lb of cubed pork; a red enchilada sauce for green; 1 can of beef broth for 3 cups of water; added garlic salt, achiote molido (ground annato seeds) and green bell pepper for flavor and color; and increased the cayenne for a spicier punch.
I basically changed the heck out of the original recipe on the fly, but isn't that what having fun with cooking is all about? The soup got rave reviews from everyone.
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- 1 TB vegetable oil
- 1 28 oz can red enchilada sauce (homemade is better if you have the time)
- 1 28 oz can white hominy, drained
- 1 14.5 oz can beef broth
- 1 4.5 oz can diced mild green chilies
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 jalapeÃ±o peppers chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ts garlic salt
- 1 ts cayenne pepper, more or less to taste
- 1 ts ground achiote (or annatto)
- Chopped cilantro
- Chopped red onion
- Diced jalapeÃ±o peppers
- Lime Wedges
- Sour Cream
- In a large soup or stock pot brown the ground beef in 1 Tb oil until just beginning to brown.
- Add the onions, garlic, jalapeÃ±os, and bell pepper and continue to cook until the beef is well browned and the veggies begin to soften.
- Add the enchilada sauce, beef broth, hominy, canned green chilies, garlic salt, cayenne pepper, and achiote.
- Simmer Â½ hour and taste. Add a bit more garlic salt to taste if necessary.
- Serve with cilantro, red onion, jalapeÃ±os, lime wedges, and sour cream on the side for garnish.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 464g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 132||39%|
|Total Fat 14.78g||18%|
|Saturated Fat 4.83g||19%|
|Trans Fat 0.77g|
|Total Carbs 32.4g||9%|
|Dietary Fiber 6.1g||20%|