This is a variation on Tara's lasagne - it's a healthier version of lasagne because you replace much of the cheese filling with lowfat cottage cheese. I've added a little ketchup and some bacon to give the flavor a bounce.
I've also made this with my 6 year-old daughter. It's easy to make and a wonderful way to spend a half hour with your kid!
- 2 strips of bacon (preferably center cut)
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 16 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp basil
- salt/pepper to taste
- olive oil
- 2 pinches fennel seeds
- 1 package no boil lasagne noodles
- 1lb cottage cheese
- 1 egg
- 4 oz grated mozzarella (pre shredded speeds prep)
- parmesan for garnish
- In a cast iron pot over medium heat, add 2 tbsp olive oil and 2 strips of bacon (cut into 1/2 inch cubes) Cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes
- Add and saute the onion and garlic until clear (2 minutes)
- Add ground turkey and cook through (about 8 minutes)
- Add tomato sauce, ketchup and spices. Cover, simmer, 15 minutes.
- While it's simmering, in a medium bowl, mix together 1lb low fat cottage cheese, 1 egg, and 4 oz mozzarella cheese
- Spray a 7x13 pan with aerosol oil like Pam. Put layer of sauce on the bottom, then layer four strips of Barilla lasagne. Spread egg and cheese mixture over that. Spoon about 3/4ths of the sauce mixture over the cheese. Layer four more sheets of Barilla. Pour remaining sauce over the top.
- Top with mozzarella and oregano
- Cover dish with foil bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes, then remove for last 10 to crisp it up a little.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 440g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 271||52%|
|Total Fat 30.35g||38%|
|Saturated Fat 11.96g||48%|
|Trans Fat 0.31g|
|Total Carbs 15.35g||4%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.4g||8%|