We enjoy eating tuna. Fresh or flash frozen tuna is expensive in southern New Mexico. So, we find that canned albacore tuna is a good substitute. We wanted tuna salad for dinner that night. I roasted red, yellow and orange peppers and purple onion. (Many people call it red onion but I see purple.) Then, I added artichoke hearts, black olives (didn't have kalamatas on hand), capers and cannellini beans. Topped the roasted salad with a balsamic-garlic vinaigrette. The salad was tasty and healthful.
- Five - 5 oz cans of albacore tuna packed in water
- One can of rinsed cannellini beans
- One each red, yellow and orange pepper
- One 14 oz can of baby artichoke hearts canned in water
- One medium purple onion
- One can of rinsed medium black olives
- Campari tomatos
- Balsamic vinegar
- Olive Oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Drain tuna cans. Empty tuna into a large mixing bowl then flake with a fork.
- Drain and rinse cannellini beans and add to the tuna mix.
- Halve the artichoke hearts and add to the mix.
- Drain olives and add to the mix.
- Add three drained tablespoons of capers to the tuna mix.
- Wash peppers. Remove veins/seeds and cut into half inch cubes.
- Cut onion into half inch cubes.
- Line a sheet pan with non-stick foil. Combine the peppers and onion onto the sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and toss. Then sprinkle with kosher salt, garlic powder, onion powder, and black pepper or red pepper flakes. Put in oven and remove when satisfactorily roasted. Usually 25-30 minutes in my oven. Stir once or twice to make sure roasting as evenly as possible.
- Combine six tablespoons of olive oil, four tablespoons of balsamic vinegar into a small mixing bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste. Peel four cloves of garlic and mince. Make a garlic paste by pressuring and moving the back of a spoon atop of the minced garlic. Add the paste to the oil and balsamic mixture and whisk to incorporate.
- Wash then slice the tomatos into eighths and add to tuna mix.
- Remove sheet from oven and add the roasted items to the tuna mix. Toss the mixture.
- Give the dressing another couple of whisks and pour on the tuna salad. Toss to thoroughly incorporate the vinaigrette.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 268g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 74||27%|
|Total Fat 8.52g||11%|
|Saturated Fat 1.65g||7%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 16.75g||4%|
|Dietary Fiber 6.5g||22%|