I must admit, I love the chicken egg rolls at Panda Express. I don’t eat them very often because they are deep fried. Happily, i’ve created a skinny recipe I can enjoy guilt-free and you can too! To make them skinny, I’m using lean ground turkey breast, loading the rolls with crunchy veggies and baking–not frying. The skinny for each roll is 104 calories, just 1 gram of fat and 3 Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS.
- Ingredients for Egg Rolls
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- â cup carrots, shredded
- Â½ teaspoon vegetable oil or olive oil
- Â½ pound ground turkey breast (99% fat-free)
- 1 cup onions, mined
- 2 teaspoons ginger, from a jar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar">vinegar or seasoned rice vinegar">vinegar
- 1Â½ tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- Â¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 12 egg roll wrappers, see shopping tip
- Cooking spray
- Ingredients for Sauce
- Â¼ cup reduce-sodium soy sauce
- Â¼ cup rice vinegar">vinegar or seasoned rice vinegar">vinegar
- Â½ tablespoon ginger, in a jar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Â¼ cup thinly sliced green onions, optional
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Coat a baking pan with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine bean sprouts, carrots and cabbage.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Add turkey, onions, garlic and ginger. Cook about 5 minutes until turkey is browned. Remove from heat; stir in cabbage mixture, 1Â½ tablespoons soy sauce, rice vinegar and pepper. Chill in refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- Place 1 egg roll wrapper at a time onto work surface with 1 corner pointing toward you (wrapper should look like a diamond). Spoon Â¼ cup turkey filling into center of wrapper. Fold lower corner of egg roll wrapper over filling. Fold in corners and roll up jelly roll fashion. Repeat procedure with remaining wrappers and turkey filling. Lightly coat egg rolls with cooking spray and place, seam side down, on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake for 10 minutes. Turn over and bake 10 minutes more until golden brown on both sides.
- To prepare sauce: In a small bowl, mix together all sauce ingredients. Garnish with green onions, if desired. Serve sauce on the side with egg rolls.
- Serve at once. To reheat, place in a preheated 425 degrees oven and heat until crisp.
- Makes 12 egg rolls (each serving, 1 roll and about 1 tablespoon sauce)
- Shopping Tip-! used Nasoya Egg Roll Wrappers. I bought mine at Vons/Safeway but most supermarkets and natural food markets sell egg roll wrappers. Theyâre usually displayed in the refrigerated Asian section or deli aisle.
- For more skinny recipes, pleas join me at http://skinnykitchen.com
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 92g|
|Recipe makes 12 servings|
|Calories from Fat 21||15%|
|Total Fat 2.31g||3%|
|Saturated Fat 0.49g||2%|
|Trans Fat 0.01g|
|Total Carbs 21.35g||6%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.3g||4%|