This is a traditional recipe for the parties and holidays in Slavic countries. No one knows where it came to former Soviet countries from,(we were a huge country with closed borders for decades), but this was the main salad of every celebration in almost every family for decades.
I cook this salad very rarely and mainly in autumn and winter, as I consider this salad too conservative and even boring to cook it very often. I always experiment with the ingredients as it’s always good to have a different taste of the same well known dish.
- For the salad you will need:
- 2-3 medium potatoes boiled
- 1-2 eggs hard boiled
- 1 medium carrot boiled
- 7-8 cornichons
- 2-3 tablespoons of pickled peppers (optional)
- 3-4 sausages or a cup of chopped ham or chicken breast
- 1/4 white onion
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 pinch of black pepper
- 2-3 tablespoons of canned peas
- 3 tablespoons of mayo (light)
- Step 1: wash and boil the potato and carrot. Boil for 20 minutes of until cooked i.e. soft. Boil an egg until cooked.
- Step 2: Peel a potato and a carrot. Shell an egg(s)
- Step 3 : Chop in small chunks potato, carrot, sausage (or any meat you plan to incorporate in a dish), egg. Finely chop the onion (1/4 of it)
- Chop cornichons and pickled pepper, mix everything.
- Step 4: Add salt,pepper and canned peas. Dress with mayo , you can add some dill you you like.
- Serve cold.
- ***Tip from Helen*** The meat may also be substituted with mushrooms. canned in water or fried mushrooms, the taste will be different. Pickled peppers arenât a must.For dressing you may combine mayo and sour cream or mayo and ranch dressing. Donât make the dressing too sour though.***
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 145g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 79||47%|
|Total Fat 8.92g||11%|
|Saturated Fat 1.26g||5%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 20.54g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 3.1g||10%|