The secret to a Maid Rite and/or Tendermaid style loose burger Hamburger is that the beef is steamed and not fried, and this does make all the difference. Making them at home can be done although it is slightly more painstaking than the frying pan, but well worth the effort.
I use a streiner or colander over a pot of boiling water and loose fitting lid. Put your ground beef in the strainer, add diced onion and a dash of salt. You Will Love This and It Will Bring Back Memories of Times Gone By. ENJOY
- 1 1/2 pounds good quality ground beef
- Dash of Salt
- 1 Chopped Onion (Sweet Yellow if available)
- Hamburger Buns
- Mustard, Ketchup, and Sliced Dill Pickles (Mayo if you must)
- Position your strainer or colander securely over a large pot of boiling water. Add the ground beef, diced onions and salt. The meat will crumble as it cooks. The boiling water will creep up the sides as the oil from the meat falls into the boiling water. Every few minutes, using a large spoon turn the mixture from the bottom as not to force pieces of meat through the holes. The meat will turn from pink to brown as it cooks and becomes done. A loose fitting lid will speed the cooking time and you don't have to worry about them getting too well done, just be sure that water remains in the boiling pot.
- Adding the cheese can be done one of two ways, either put a piece of cheese atop the mixture and bury before spooning on the bun or simply put it on the bottom of the bun. Put a little mustard and/or ketchup on the top bun and add a couple of Dill Pickle slices and well, relive what made these burgers famous. You should probably make a little extra because they will want more...I promise. These are sooooooo good. Enjoy!
- Serve with chips and a spoon so they can eat every crumble of the meat that falls back to the plate.
- As a bonus, the strainer or colander and the boiling pot all clean up quick and easy with plain ole dish soap, water and very little effort.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 206g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 267||62%|
|Total Fat 29.58g||37%|
|Saturated Fat 11.71g||47%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 7.69g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.7g||2%|