We just adore sweet potatoes, love making them all year long and not just for Thanksgiving. Our favorite way is to bake them, which brings out their natural sweetness. Once baked, we’re filling them with a bit of reduced-fat butter and a dash of cinnamon. One medium size potato prepared our skinny way has just 128 calories, 2.7 grams of fat and 3 Weight Watchers POINTS PUS. Baked the same way but mashed with 1 tablespoon of regular butter has 204 calories and 11.7 grams of fat. Our potato makes a wonderful side dish for turkey, chicken, beef or pork. One serving also makes a super healthy, low calorie snack. Mmm…
- 4 medium sweet potatoes (yams) about 5â long, see shopping tip
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat butter or Smart Balance Light
- Cinnamon, optional
- Shopping Tip
- In the U.S. most people call the kind of potatoes weâre using for this recipe sweet potatoes but weâre really talking about yams in the U.S. Theyâre the darker skinned potatoes with a deep orange center as opposed to most of the sweet potatoes found in our markets. They have a much lighter colored skin and pale yellow inside. Theyâre not nearly as sweet, moist or flavorful. Weâre using the type restaurants use to make sweet potato fries.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Wash and dry each potato and pierce with a fork a few times. Wrap each in foil and place on baking sheet.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes until soft.
- Remove foil, cut in half and mash each with Â½ tablespoon of butter. Sprinkle a little cinnamon on top, if desired
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 100g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 51||39%|
|Total Fat 5.81g||7%|
|Saturated Fat 3.67g||15%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 18.84g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.8g||9%|