Although I accepted samgyupsal (grilled pork belly; aka thick bacon) into my late-night diet of soju and beer outings while living in Seoul back in the days, I really didn't have a strong yearning for it when I returned back to the States. One reason was that it too closely resembled something that I didn't really care for in the first place--American bacon, and the second reason being its lack of availability in American grocery stores. Despite this, cravings.......full story and recipe at http://www.oliviajasonkim.com
- 2 lb pork belly strips or pre-cut
- 1 tsp thyme (fresh or dry)
- 1 tsp dill weed (fresh or dry)
- 1 tsp rosemary (fresh or dry)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- lettuce varieties (red leaf lettuce, perilla leaves, Boston bibb, frisee)
- 1 garlic bulb, peeled
- 1 small onion, cut into discs
- â cup kochujang (red pepper paste)
- Â½ cup dwenjang (soybean paste)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (or garlic powder)
- 1 tsp rice wine
- 1 tsp brown sugar (or honey)
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- Â½ tbsp sesame seeds
- 1. Rub on the herbs and garlic powder to each of the pork belly. Let sit for about 15 minutes.
- 2. Wash and prepare the lettuce leaf varieties under cold water. Set on serving plates.
- 3. Cook pork strips on non-stick pan or skillet on medium-high heat. Make sure the pan is hot before adding the pork. Cook about 7 minutes on each side or until well-browned. Remove to a paper-lined plate to remove excess oil.
- 4. Meanwhile, make the samjang sauce by mixing the last 7 ingredients in the list above. For a spicier sauce, add more gochujang (hot pepper paste).
- 5. With the remaining fatty oil, saute the garlic cloves and onion discs for about 3 minutes or until nicely charred. Drain and set aside.
- 6. Cut the pork strips into bite size pieces and transfer to a serving plate. Enjoy with lettuce varieties, rice, and samjang sauce.
- *If you are pressed for time, you can skip the herb rub altogether and purchase ready-made samjang sauce at the Korean market. This will cut prepping and cooking time in half.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 235g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 1044||91%|
|Total Fat 115.9g||145%|
|Saturated Fat 41.38g||166%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 3.6g||1%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.6g||2%|