Escarole and Orzo Soup with Little Meatballs ~ Zuppa di Scarola e Orzo con Polpettine Recipe
Cost per serving $0.36 view details
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup plain dried breadcrumbs
- 12 ounces lean ground turkey
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 cups (or more) chicken broth
- 1 cup chopped peeled carrots
- 3/4 cup orzo (rice-shaped pasta)
- 4 cups coarsely chopped escarole (about 1/2 medium head)
- Whisk egg and 2 tablespoons water in medium bowl to blend.
- Mix in breadcrumbs; let stand 5 minutes.
- Add turkey, Parmigiano cheese, parsley, garlic, salt, and pepper; gently stir to blend.
- Using wet hands, shape turkey mixture into 1 and 1/4-inch diameter meatballs.
- Place on baking sheet; cover and chill 30 minutes.
- Bring 8 cups chicken broth to boil in large pot.
- Add carrots and orzo; reduce heat to medium and simmer uncovered 8 minutes.
- Add turkey meatballs and simmer 10 minutes.
- Stir in chopped escarole and simmer until turkey meatballs, orzo, and escarole are tender, about 5 minutes longer.
- Season soup to taste with salt and pepper.
- Rewarm over medium heat, thinning with more broth if desired.
- Ladle soup into bowls and serve. Makes 4 main-course servings
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 188g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 84||24%|
|Total Fat 9.37g||12%|
|Saturated Fat 2.52g||10%|
|Trans Fat 0.23g|
|Total Carbs 41.44g||11%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.6g||9%|