This rich and flavourful dish is my all time favorite chicken dish. I like to serve it when entertaining friends and family. It takes a little preparation but is well worth the effort. There are 4 steps to making this recipe. Cook the chicken, cook the brocoli, cook the rice, make the cheese sauce and then assemble and warm up in the oven.
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup white flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tsps worcestershire sauce
- 3 cups (3/4 lb) grated old or very old cheddar cheese. I prefer the very old cheddar for its distinctive strong cheesy flavour.
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1 large head of brocoli (cut up into spears)
- 3 whole boneless chicken breasts, cooked and cut-up into long strips
- 1/2 lb or 1 pkg of fresh sauteed mushrooms (sauteed in oil)
- 1 or 2 - 5 oz cans water chestnuts, sliced, drained ( I prefer to add 2 cans, as I like the dish to be crunchy)
- 3/4 cup whole blanched almonds, slightly roasted in a hot pan until browned
- 4 to 6 cups of cooked Uncle Ben's or basmati or your preferred white rice (follow directions on package
- Cook the chicken in oïl until browned on all sides.
- Cook the rice while you prepare the following sauce.
- Steam the brocoli until still crunchy, not overcooked (very important). Then make the cheese sauce as follows:
- Make the cheesy sauce (on the stovetop at medium heat) by melting the butter in a skillet and adding the flour, mix well. Remove from heat and add the chicken stock at once and whisk briskly until the sauce is smooth and free of lumps. Return to heat and continue whisk and cook until the sauce thickens.
- Add the worcestershire sauce and 2 cups of cheese (reserve 1 cup for the top). Allow the cheese to melt.
- Pour the sour cream into a medium bowl and gradually add the hot cheese sauce into it while whisking the sauce. The sauce is done.
- In a large buttered shallow baking dish, place the steamed brocoli spears, then the cooked chicken strips, then the mushrooms and then the water chestnuts. Pour the cheese sauce on top. Sprinkle the remaining cup of cheese on top. Cover and heat in a 350 degrees oven for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Serve on top of the cooked rice and sprinkled with roasted almonds. ENJOY!
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 287g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 261||59%|
|Total Fat 29.92g||37%|
|Saturated Fat 12.42g||50%|
|Trans Fat 0.06g|
|Total Carbs 27.49g||7%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.4g||8%|