Cost per serving $0.47 view details
- 1 x capon about 1.8kg
- 1 x thin slice of barding fat about 14 x lOcm
- 80 gm butter
- 1 x bouquet garni
- 2 x carrots diced
- 3 x shallots diced
- 500 x mlChampagne
- 300 x m chicken stock
- 500 ml double cream
- 500 x gfresh morels or possibly
- 100 x gdried morels soaked
- 1 x juice of 1 lemon
- 1 x shallot very finely minced
- 1 x salt and freshly grnd pepper
- Clean the capon remove the wishbone singe the bird and pull out any feather stumps. Lightly salt the cavity and cut off the wing tips. Truss the capon and tie the barding fat over the breast with kitchen string. Keep the giblets. Heat half the butter in a saucepan put in the capon and cook over low heat for 10 min on each thigh then 5 min on each breast. Turn the capon on to its back and cook for a final 5 min making sure which it takes on almost no colour.
- Add in the bouquet garni the diced carrots and shallots the giblets and twothirds of the Champagne cover the pan and cook for another 30 min. Insert a trussing needle into the thickest part of the thigh; the juices should be shiny and completely clear. If there is any trace of pink cook for another 10 min. Remove the trussing string and barding fat lay the capon on its breast on a serving dish cover with foil and leave to rest in hot place. For the sauce pour the remaining Champagne into the saucepan add in the chicken stock and reduce by half over high heat. Add in the cream and reduce till the sauce lightly coats the back of a spoon. Season to taste and keep hot.
- Peel the morel stalks and cut off any nasty parts. Halve or possibly quarter Iengthways wash in several changes of cool water to eliminate sand and drain. Heat the remaining butter in a frying pan add in the morels a little salt and pepper and the lemon juice cover and sweat for 5 min. Remove the lid and cook the morels over high heat till all water has evapourated then add in the minced shallot and one third of the sauce and keep hot. Serve the capon whole surrounded by the morels. Serve the rest of the sauce in a sauceboat and carve the bird at the table.
- Note:If you use dry morels soak them in cool water for several hrs before using. If morels are not in season garnish with small braised lettuces.
- serves 6cooking time about 1 hour
- Success is assured with this remarkable dish of capon with morels and Champagne.
- prep time 30 mins
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 151g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 294||84%|
|Total Fat 33.27g||42%|
|Saturated Fat 18.78g||75%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 4.84g||1%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.5g||2%|