Poultry and spicy foods are two things a lot of us love and generally never get tired of eating. I named this recipe after my daughter Bronwyn (Brownie) because one evening she 'placed an order' and I came up with the wing sauce as per her request. She asked for "hot wings" but her hot and my hot are not one in the same. I found a happy balance that she loved and I could adjust the heat for sharing with spicy wing lovers like myself. Besides, the capsacin raises the metabolism by almost 15% so don't be so hard on yourself if you want to eat an extra one. These wings may be baked instead of fried to help shave off calories, but in moderation, these are great the way they are.
- 3 lbs. chicken wing parts or drummettes
- 1 1/2 c. seasoned flour, plus extra if needed
- 1 c. good quality ketchup
- 1/4 c. hot chili sauce, such as sriracha
- 1/4 c. pure maple syrup
- 1/2 c. dill pickle juice
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- kosher salt and cracked pepper for brining and to taste
- canola oil for frying
- First, brine the chicken in water with kosher salt for at least 30 minutes. Rinse several times and drain well before cooking.
- Heat 2 inches canola oil in dutch oven or heavy bottom pot until temperature reaches 375* F.
- Place seasoned flour in shallow dish with high sides and toss moist chicken within to coat. Shake off excess flour. Fry wings in small batches until golden brown and crispy about 9 minutes per batch. Drain drain on paper towels. Keep warm and crisp in oven on pan with rack until ready to toss in sauce.
- Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, combine ketchup, sriracha, maple syrup, pickle juice and smoked paprika. Whisk until well combined. Season with kosher salt and pepper to taste. Place or prepare in bottle with nozzle to coat wings as you toss and control level of 'wet' for the wings. Shake well before use.
- Serve with bleu cheese or ranch and celery 0R crudites.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 255g|
|Recipe makes 9 servings|
|Calories from Fat 121||39%|
|Total Fat 13.42g||17%|
|Saturated Fat 3.72g||15%|
|Trans Fat 0.16g|
|Total Carbs 28.79g||8%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.8g||3%|