This is great as a teatime snack or for a light breakfast. It is a healthy snack without any butter and very little sugar. I would usually reduce the sugar in most recipes, but for this, I added a little bit more! And to give additional flavour to this otherwise plain popovers, I added in orange zest and orange essence. My kids love to eat these with some honey drizzled over the top while still hot. This is extremely easy to make and takes only about 15 minutes of preparation. The original recipe are served with sweet, fresh berries. These popovers are best eaten while still hot, don't forget the honey!
I made this twice actually, the first time with vanilla essence, which is good too. Just increase the sugar a little otherwise this will be quite bland. And of course, eat it while still hot with drizzled honey.
- Blueberry Popovers
- (adapted from Baking with Love by Readers Digest)
- 125gm (1 cup/4-1/2 oz) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar (I use 2 tablespoons sugar)
- 2 eggs
- 250ml (1 cup/9fl oz) milk
- 80gm (1/2 cup/2-1/2 oz) blueberries
- 1 tablespoon icing (confectioners') sugar
- my add-on:
- grated zest of 1 orange
- 1/2 tsp orange essence
- pinch of salt
- Use 1 x 12 hole (80ml/1/3 cup/2-1/2fl oz) deep muffin pan and grease 8 cups. Preheat the oven to 220C(425F, gas mark 7).
- To make batter, sift flour, sugar and salt into a bowl and make a well in the centre. Break eggs into the well, add milk, orange zest and essence and combine with a fork.
- Using a wire whisk, gradually work the flour into the liquid to make a smooth batter with the consistency of pouring cream. Pour into a large jug.
- Pour batter into muffin cups; they should be two-thirds full. Drop blueberries into the batter in each cup, dividing them equally.
- Bake on the centre rack of the oven for 25-30 minutes or until popovers are golden brown, well risen and crisp around the edges.
- Unmold the popovers with the help of a round-bladed knife and dust with icing sugar. Serve hot.
- (my notes : I use frozen blueberries, there's no need to thaw them, I bake the popovers at 200C for 25 minutes, serve these with drizzled honey while still hot)
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 8g|
|Recipe makes 12 servings|
|Calories from Fat 7||58%|
|Total Fat 0.81g||1%|
|Saturated Fat 0.27g||1%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 0.23g||0%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.0g||0%|