Chinese Leeks are smaller and thinner than the regular leeks. It is more pungent in flavour compared to the regular leeks. When I buy these leeks, I would prefer this over the regular ones, it has a more intense flavour and smell. Choose the small and young tender ones as the big ones can be rather tough.
The Chinese would usually stir-fry this veggie with dried Chinese sausages. It can be stir-fried together with other vegetables such as carrots, cauliflowers, sweet peas, brocolli, mushroom and capsicums. I love it just plain with Chinese sausages. This veggie actually sweetens when cooked. Even though this veggie is available almost whole year round, they are most popular during the Chinese New Year festival.
Leeks are a good sources of folic acid, iron and potassium. They are low in calories. They also supply magnesium, calcium, copper, vitamin C,B6 and rich in vitamin A.
- 5-6 medium Chinese leeks
- 2 Chinese sausages
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon oil
- salt to taste
- 2-3 tablespoon water
- 1/2 teaspoon chicken powder seasoning
- 1 tablespooon Chinese cooking wine
- Remove sausage casing from Chinese sausages and slice at a diagonal into thin slices about 4-5mm thickness.
- Clean the leeks and slice at at diagonal into thin slices about 6-7mm thickness.
- Heat oil in wok or suacepan. Over low heat, stir fry Chinese sausages for about 2 minutes and dish out. Keep aside.
- In same wok, turn heat to medium-high, saute minced garlic till fragrant and light brown. Add the leeks and stir for about 30 seconds. Add water, chicken powder seasoning and salt to taste. Continue stirring for about 5 minutes till leeks are soft and cooked, adding 1 tablespoon water if it appears too dry.
- Add in the pre-fried sausages and stir to combine, for about 30 seconds.
- Add in 1 tablespoon Chinese cooking wine, give a quick stir and dish out. Serve hot. Enjoy!
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 12g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 21||91%|
|Total Fat 2.32g||3%|
|Saturated Fat 0.18g||1%|
|Trans Fat 0.06g|
|Total Carbs 0.63g||0%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.1g||0%|