When the Vidalia onions come into season, I make a batch or two of this and freeze them for later use. See freezing tips below.
I'm not much of a beer drinker but I do like some offered by the Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Co. Summer Shandy is my favorite and I stock up in the spring when it comes out. I use it in this recipe.
Below is a link to their site if you're curious. You'll notice that your birthday is required to access the site. Don't worry it's legit, I wouldn't promote it if it wasn't.
Enjoy this with your favorite adult beverage of choice.
- 2 Large Sweet Spanish Onions
- 1 1/4 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1/8 Tsp. Ground Cayenne Pepper
- 1 Tsp. Baking Powder
- 1/4 Tsp. Salt
- 1 Large Egg, Beaten
- 1 Cup Lite Beer (Tip)
- 1 Tbsp. Vegetable Oil
- Vegetable Oil For Deep Frying
- Peel onions and cut into 3/8-inch thick slices. If making onion strings, slice very thin. I use a mandolin or Cuisinart. Separate into individual rings.
- Combine flour, baking powder, cayenne pepper, salt, egg, beer and 1 tablespoon oil. Blend until smooth.
- With a fork, dip onion rings into batter and coat well. Fry in oil heated to 375°F. Until light brown on both sides, turning once. Drain on paper towels.
- Tip: The key to this recipe is to use your favorite beer. As it's flavor will shine through.
- To Store Extra: Spread out on baking sheet to freeze. When frozen pack in desired quantities in foil and store in freezer. Bake at 400°F; 5 – 7 minutes. While hot, sprinkle with salt.
- Note: I do not recommend using this for bloomin' onions.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 91g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 22||18%|
|Total Fat 2.54g||3%|
|Saturated Fat 0.36g||1%|
|Trans Fat 0.04g|
|Total Carbs 19.17g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.1g||4%|