I went to Russia a few months ago and had a delicious lunch of Beef over barley and wild rice. It was substantial and healthy, so I promised myself that I would try to copy it. This is what I came up with. If you try it, I don't think you will be disappointed. It's delicious!
- Beef Stew:
- 2 lbs sirloin steak or beef stew meat cut into 3/4 inch cubes.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup chicken, beef, or vegetable broth
- 1 heaping tsp paprika
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce (optional)
- 2 cups brown or wild rice (cook in rice cooker or on stove. (If on stove, boil for 20 minutes with 2.5 cups water)
- 2 cups barley
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- Fry 1/2 chopped onion in 1 Tbsp olive oil in a large sauce pan for 4 minutes.
- Add bay leaves, 2 cups water, 2 cups chicken broth, and barley.
- Boil for 50 minutes on low heat until barley is soft.
- Add 2 cups brown rice and 3 cups water to a rice cooker (or another pan) and cook for 25 minutes until rice is tender.
- Chop beef into 3/4 inch pieces and brown on all sides over high heat. Remove to a bowl.
- Add 1 Tbsp Olive oil and one med. onion chopped. Saute for 2 minutes. Add garlic and saute 1 more minute.
- Add 1 cup broth, beef that was removed, paprika, pepper, and Soy Sauce to pan.
- Cover and simmer on low heat for 45-90 minutes.
- Combine barley and wild rice and stir to mix.
- Serve beef stew over barley/wild rice mixture.
- Add a green vegetable like asparagus, broccoli, or spinach.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 517g|
|Recipe makes 5 servings|
|Calories from Fat 303||39%|
|Total Fat 33.73g||42%|
|Saturated Fat 11.4g||46%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 66.32g||18%|
|Dietary Fiber 13.6g||45%|