Persian spiced meatball. These are incredible. Ground Sumac flavors these meatballs with a citrus zing. Simple to make and so flavorful. They will be a hit anytime. Make the meat mixture ahead of time and refrigerate the meatballs after placing on skewers until they are cold. These are best if you can prepare the meat mixture a day ahead. Koobideh are best grilled but they can also be prepared in a cast iron skillet on the stovetop. You can find Sumac at a well stocked grocery store or an International grocery, or order online from your favorite spice vendor. Sumac is great with beef, lamb, or chicken, sprinkled on rice pilaf, or on top of Hummus.
- 3 lbs ground beef
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped, drained in a sieve to remove liquids
- 1/4 cup finely chopped Italian parsley
- 1/4 cup ground Sumac
- 2 tsp salt , or to taste
- 2 tsp pepper, or to taste
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- wood or metal skewers, soak wood skewers at least 30 minutes
- In a large bowl combine all ingredients well. Unlike most meatballs, where you need to be gentle, with your hands mash these ingredients together until they are well combined. Chill mixture until cold, or overnight.
- If using wood skewers, be sure they are soaked for at least 30 minutes so they do not burn on the grill.
- Use about 2-3 Tbsp meat per meatball. Form mixture into an oblong shape with flat sides. Slide two skewers into each meatball. We skewer three meatballs on each set of skewers. Be sure to leave space between each meatball so they brown on all sides. Place skewers on a cookie sheet and chill until cold.
- Preheat barbecue. Place on a hot grill and cook until medium-rare, or desired doneness. Cooking time will vary based on the thickness of the meatball and the heat of the grill. Remove to a serving platter. If you prefer, cook indoors on a cast iron skillet, heated to medium high heat.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 249g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 350||66%|
|Total Fat 38.78g||48%|
|Saturated Fat 15.46g||62%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 3.16g||1%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.7g||2%|