Bavarian Apple Torte. Note: For the following photos I made one half recipe and used a 6" springform pan.
Apple wedges should not be wider than 1/4" at widest edge or they won't cook sufficiently. Apples slices at left are 3/4" wide (too large); those on right are 1/4" wide - that's narrow!
After cheese filling is poured over crust, arrange cinnamon-sugar coated apple wedges in desired pattern on top
There are gazillions of recipes on the Internet for Bavarian apple cheese cake or torte, but most are sweeter than typical German pastries. I prefer this recipe posted several years ago by a lady from Germany as it makes me think I'm eating authentic German torte. It is certainly sweet, but not overly so, and not rich and heavy with cream cheese (many other recipes have double the amount and are more correctly called a cheese cake than a torte.) If you want to think you're visiting an authentic German "byckerei" try making this simple but divine dessert.
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- APPLE TOPPING:
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 cups cooking apples like Granny Smith, peeled, cored and sliced into thin wedges (1/4" or less at widest edge - see photo)
- ALMOND TOPPING:
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- Set oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly spray bottom and sides of an 8" or 9" springform pan with butter or vegetable spray.
- CRUST: In a medium size mixing bowl beat butter until soft and creamy; add 1/3 cup sugar, 1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla, mixing well; blend in the flour. Press crust mixture lightly and evenly in bottom of prepared pan.
- FILLING: In same mixing bowl and using same mixer blades, beat cream cheese til soft and smooth. Beat in 1/4 cup sugar, eggs and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Pour filling over crust.
- APPLE TOPPING: In large bowl stir together 1/3 cup sugar and cinnamon. Add prepared apple wedges and toss gently to coat all sides. Arrange apple wedges in desired pattern on top of filling.
- ALMOND TOPPING: Sprinkle almonds over top of apples evenly.
- Bake 45 to 55 minutes until tester inserted into cheese filling comes out clean (do not overbake.) Cool in pan on wire rack 30 minutes or until about room temperature. Remove sides of pan and serve,or refrigerate and serve chilled.
- This recipe makes 8 generous slices but can serve 10-12 if it tops off a big dinner.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 150g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 203||51%|
|Total Fat 23.13g||29%|
|Saturated Fat 13.18g||53%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 44.45g||12%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.1g||7%|