Got a few egg whites left over from a recipe?
Here's a super easy crispy, flourless cookie called < Brutti ma Buoni >. It's an Italian saying...loosely translated as ugly looking (not really) but yummy. Originally made with roasted hazelnuts...however, re-created to include roasted almonds instead. I also reduced much of the unnecessary sugar. These are way too easy to eat! Enjoy.
For a dedicated post...please refer to:
- .> (American /Metric measures) <
- . 2 cups (260g) roasted* Almonds, grounded
- . 1 cup (220g) granulated sugar
- . 4 large egg whites (room temp.)
- . 1/2 tsp. (2.5ml) sea salt
- . 1 tsp. (5ml) vanilla extract
- . > *Roasting nuts: Pre-heat oven at 350F/180C/Gas4. Position rack at the 2nd level from the bottom. Toast the whole Almonds (with skins) on a baking sheet for 9-11 minutes or until the fragrance graces the air. Let the nuts cool completely before grinding. Note: Hazelnuts (rubbed of their skins after roasting), Pecans and Walnuts usually need less roasting time. Anywhere, between 5-10 minutes.
- . >> Optional substitutes and additions:
- . replace almonds with: Hazelnuts, Pecans or Walnuts
- . add 1 tsp. (5ml) of either: almond, lemon or orange extracts
- . add 1 tbsp. (15ml) of either: lemon or orange, finely zested
- . add generous handful (unsweetened) Coconut, shredded
- . add cinnamon and/or ginger spices
- . Pre-heat oven to 325F/170C /Gas3. Position rack in the center of the oven. Prepare two (parchment lined) large baking sheets to receive 16 cookies per tray
- . NUTS: In food Processor, pulse and crush together the cooled roasted nuts and half the sugar until finely ground. Do not pulverize. Place this nut mix into a large bowl with the remaining sugar, salt, and vanilla. The optional extract and or zests can also be added at this point.
- . EGG WHITES: In another medium size bowl...beat the whites with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until peaks form. Do not over beat the whites to the 'dryness' stage.
- . ASSEMBLY: Using a spatula, gently fold the beaten whites into the nut mixture. Do not stir. With the aid of a teaspoon, drop the batter 16 times by leaving each cookie about 1 inch (25mm) apart.
- . BAKE and SERVE: Depending on the darkness of the baking pan, the cookies should bake for no more than 18-22 minutes or at the limit, until golden brown. Note: In the meantime, while waiting for the first batch to bake...it's best to keep the remaining mix in the refrigerator. Afterwards, when it's 5 minutes before cookies are ready to come out of the oven, the remaining mix should be removed from the cold. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for about 5 minutes before gently transferring them to a wire rack. Afterwards, repeat the process all over again for the 2nd cookie sheet.
- . STORAGE: Place cookies layered between sheets of parchment paper in an airtight container for up to 1 week. Better yet, these can be placed in the freezer to maintain their freshness. They actually never freeze. Place them within the parchment papers used for the baking sheets and place the package in a freezer sealed bag or plastic container. These cookies will easily keep for up to 3 months without losing its flavour quality.
- . Happy baking and flavourful wishes...FOODESSA.com