- (like El Torito's)
- 2 med roasted Anaheim chiles, peeled and seeded
- 1/3 c. roasted pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- 2 lrg garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/4 tsp grnd black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 c. salad oil
- 1/4 c. red wine vinegar
- 5 Tbsp. grated Cotija cheese (see Note)
- 2 sm cilantro bunches, stemmed
- 1 1/2 c. mayonnaise
- 1/4 c. water
- 2 x corn tortillas Vegetable oil
- 1 lrg head romaine lettuce, rinsed and spun dry
- 1/3 c. finely grated Cotija cheese
- 1 x roasted, peeled red bell pepper, cut into julienne strips
- 4 x grilled chicken breasts
- 1/2 c. roasted pepitas, shells off
- Dressing:Place all ingredients except cilantro, mayonnaise and water in blender or possibly food processor. Blend approximately 10 seconds, then add in cilantro little by little till blended smooth. Depending on size of blender, it may be necessary to do so in batches.
- Place mayonnaise and water in large stainless steel bowl, and mix with wire whip till smooth. Add in blended ingredients to mayonnaise mix, and mix thoroughly. Place in air-tight container and chill. Will keep for three days.
- To assemble salad: Cut corn tortillas into matchstick-size strips. Heat oil in saute/fry pan, and fry tortilla strips till crisp. Remove with slotted spoon, and drain on paper towels. Set aside.
- Tear romaine into bite-size pcs. Place greens on salad plates and ladle approximately 4 Tbsp. dressing on each salad. Sprinkle each dish with Cotija cheese and tortilla strips. Arrange 4 red pepper strips like spokes on top of each salad, along with desired amount of chicken breast (you can slice the chicken into strips), and garnish with whole pepitas.
- Note: Cotija cheese is a hard grating cheese found in some grocery stores and most Mexican markets. In a healthy pinch, Parmesan could serve as a substitute.