This is a beautiful and tasty dish that I cooked for a group on a getaway weekend at a winery. I was inspired to cook this by the wonderful grilled fish dishes I had almost every night on the greek island of Kos just off the coast of Turkey. This recipe is a bit more elaborate than what I had in Greece, but it is truly delicious. I made this with whole fish purchased and cleaned at a local asian supermarket. However, I think it would also be delicous with fresh fish filets.
- 2 pounds whole, white-fleshed fish, cleaned (snapper, bream, barramundi, tilapia, etc.)
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 Tbsp harissa (harissa is red chile paste popular in tunisia and can be found in most middle eastern supermarkets. You can substitute another red chile paste if necessary.)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 lemon thinly sliced
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- 2 large, firm, ripe tomatoes, sliced
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- For Tahini Sauce
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 3 Tbsp tahini
- 2 1/2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 1/2 Tbsp chopped, fresh Cilantro
- Preheat oven to 400F (200C). Lightly grease a large baking dish. Make 3 deep diagonal cuts on each side of the fish through the thickest part of the flesh. Liberally season both sides of the fish with kosher salt and pepper.
- Combine the garlic, harissa and olive oil in a small dish. Place 2 teaspoons in the fish cavity and spread the remainder over both sides rubbing into the slits you made with the knife. Place 2 lemon slices in the fish cavity.
- Arrange the onion in a layer on the baking dish. Top with the tomato, thyme sprigs and remaining lemon slices. Place the fish on top and bake, uncovered, for about 25-30 minutes, until the flesh is opaque.
- While the fish is baking, make the tahini sauce by heating the olive oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds, then add the tahini, lemon juice and 1/2 cup water. Stir and cook for 2 minutes then remove from heat and stir in the chopped cilantro. Season the sauce with kosher salt and pepper.
- Transfer the onion and tomato to a serving dish and place the fish on top. Season lightly with kosher salt. Pour some of the tahini sauce over the fish and put the rest in a small serving dish on the side. Serve immediately.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 67g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 131||78%|
|Total Fat 15.15g||19%|
|Saturated Fat 2.12g||8%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 7.71g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.1g||7%|