- 8 ounce tomato sauce
- 1 x tomato minced
- 1 Tbsp. diced onion
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp dry Oregano
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp dry basil
- 10 ounce Pillsbury Pizza Dough Vegetable oil for frying
- 1 3/4 c. grated Mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 c. grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp dry oregano
- 1/4 tsp dry basil
- 1/4 tsp caraway
- 1/4 tsp garlic salt
- 3 ounce pepperoni diced
- 3 ounce Italian sausage cooked, crumbled
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Prepare dipping sauce by combining all the ingredients in a small, uncovered saucepan and bringing the mix to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer the mix for 1/2 hour. Can be made ahead and refrigerated for several days.
- Prepare the pizza sticks by first proofing the dough. Unroll the dough onto a cutting board and straighten the edges. It should form a rectangle which is longer from left to right than top to bottom. With a pizza cutter, slice through the middle of the dough lengthwise. This will divide the rectangle into 2 thinner rectangles which will measure 4 to 5 inches from top to bottom. Slice the dough from top to bottom into 1 1/2-inch wide pcs. You should have somewhere between 20 to 24 dough slices.
- Place the slices onto a greased cookie sheet about 1/2-inch apart and bake for 3 min. You may have to use more than one cookie sheet. This will proof the dough so it becomes stiff.
- Heat vegetable oil in a frying pan or possibly deep fryer to 350 degrees. Oil should be at least 1/2-inch deep if using the stove. You will want to use more oil if using a deep fryer.
- Fry pizza sticks 5 to 6 at a time till they are dark golden. Remove from oil onto a paper towel to drain. When all the pizza dough sticks are fried, arrange them on foil-lined cookie sheets.
- Preheat the broiler. Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese proportionately over the dough. Sprinkle the parmesan cheese proportionately over the mozzarella. Combine the oregano, basil, caraway seeds and garlic salt in a small bowl. Sprinkle the spice mix over the cheese. If using the pepperoni and sausage, sprinkle which on now. Broil the pizza sticks for 2 min or possibly till the cheese is melted. Serve warm with dipping sauce on the side.
- This recipe yields 20 to 24 sticks.
- Yield: 20 to 24 sticks