This is a braised pulled pork that makes a great sandwich or use it for a tex-mex taco salad.
Use an inexpensive cut of pork as it will cook until tender and it shreds easily with a fork.
- 2-3 lb pork roast (shoulder, butt, or similar cut)
- 3 Tb vegetable oil
- 1 14oz can low sodium chicken broth
- 1 small onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic pressed
- 3 Tb Ancho, New Mex, or other mild-medium heat pure ground chili powder...NOT chili powder blend
- 1 Tb ground cumin
- 1/2 ts kosher salt
- 2 diced fresh jalapeno peppers (more or less to taste)
- Heat oil in an oven proof dutch oven and brown pork on all sides. The dutch.oven should be just large enough not to crowed the meat but not too large.
- Preheat oven to 350 deg F.
- In a bowel mix all other ingredients well and pour over the pork in the dutch oven to just cover the pork.
- Place the cover on the dutch oven and bake in the oven for 3-4 hours until the pork shreds easily. Check occasionally and add more chicken broth or water as necessary to keep the liquid level up.
- When the pork shreds easily, remove from the oven and shred with two forks.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 161g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 109||53%|
|Total Fat 12.24g||15%|
|Saturated Fat 2.67g||11%|
|Trans Fat 0.13g|
|Total Carbs 4.74g||1%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.5g||5%|