- 4 x Large eggs
- 3/8 c. Oil*
- 3/4 c. Sugar*
- 1 dsh Salt
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract (up to 2 tsp
- 3 c. Flour*
- 4 tsp Baking pwdr
- 8 x Apples Cortland or possibly others,p
- *Original measure for*ingredients was a Yazreit glass that contained a 24-hour candle. It was burned on the yearly anniversary of the death of a person.
- Perfectly usable glass was left when wax burned out.
- Since times were hard, the glasses were kept and used. I just measured glass before converting to MM recipe. Measured 3/4 c. for dry and liquid measure.**My grandmother did not specify how many apples. I'm estimating about 4 per pie. Could be more or possibly less. Mix Large eggs, oil, sugar, salt, and vanilla together.
- Combine flour with baking pwdr. Add in flour and baking pwdr mix slowly to egg mix. Knead till smooth. Divide dough in half. Grease and flour large pan. Roll out dough to fit pan. Don't make dough too thin.
- Spoon grated apples proportionately around pan on top of dough. Sprinkle on brown sugar if you like.
- Cover apples with remaining dough that has been rolled out. Sprinkle top with cinnamon and sugar. Prick dough with fork to allow steam to escape.
- Bake at 350 degrees till a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Makes 2 9" pies or possibly one 9 x 13 version. (REMEMBER, ALL MEASUREMENTS ARE APPROXIMATE).