Cost per serving $0.00 view details
- 2/3 cup uncooked black-eyed peas
- 2 cups frozen edamame beans
- 1/2 lb baby portabella mushrooms
- 1/2 lb fresh green beans
- 4 organic small beets with greens
- 4 cups water
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 3 tsp butter
- 2 cloves garlic
- For dressing -
- 2 tbs balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbs freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 crushed garlic cloves
- 1/8 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Black- eyed peas - Soak overnight or for a minimum of 1 hour in plenty of hot water with 1/2 tsp baking soda.
- Green beans - Cut the ends of the green beans and string. With fingers break into 2 inch lengths.
- Mushrooms- Wipe the mushrooms with a damp cloth. Cut off the stems and discard. Thinly slice & set aside in a bowl.
- Beets - Cut the leaves 2" above the bulbs and reserve. Wash & scrub the beets thoroughly to get rid of dirt.
- Beet greens - Cut the stems off from leaves & discard. Wash each of the leaves separately to get rid of all the dirt.
- Garlic - Peel & crush 4 cloves of garlic. Set aside.
- Dressing - In a glass jar, add 2 crushed garlic cloves, balsamic vinegar, extra virgin olive oil & freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- Tightly close the jar & shake vigorously for 30 seconds. Set aside till ready to use.
- Cooking method -
- Preheat the oven to 425 deg F.
- Black- eyed peas - Bring 4 cups of water to boil in a pot on medium-high heat. Add 1/2 tsp salt & the soaked black-eyed peas. Boil for 30 minutes till peas are tender-crisp. Sieve & discard water. Set aside to cool.
- Green beans - Cook in a steam bag for 3 minutes with 1/4 tsp salt or drop in boiling water for 4-5 minutes until tender crisp. Dump them into cold water. Set aside.
- Edamame - Measure out the frozen edamame beans to a steam bag & steam for 4 minutes or drop in boiling water for 4-5 minutes until tender crisp. Drop into a bowl with cold water. Set aside.
- Mushrooms- In a saute pan, add 1 tsp olive oil & heat on medium high heat. Once the oil is fuming, add 1 tsp butter. As soon as it melts, add the mushrooms & saute for 2-3 minutes or until the mushrooms have browned but not completely wilted. Remove immediately to a bowl & set aside.
- Beets - Without cutting or peeling at this point, steam the beets in a steam bag for 9 minutes or drop in boiling water for approx 10 minutes or until tender.
- Croutons - Using a serrated bread knife, cut 3-4 1/2" thick slices. Cut in 1/2" x 1" lengths. In a microwave safe dish, melt the butter. Pour all over the cut bread & toss.
- Spread a piece of aluminum foil on a baking tray. In a single layer, spread the butter soaked bread pieces and place in the oven. Bake for approx 10 minutes. Toss & return to the oven for another 3 minutes. The croutons should be a beautiful crisp golden brown. Remove to a bowl & set aside to cool.
- Beet greens - Heat 1 tsp olive oil in the saute pan on medium heat. Add 2 tsp butter & as soon as it melts, add the crushed garlic cloves. Saute for a few seconds till golden brown. Add the beet greens & saute for approx 2 minutes. Cover with a lid & cook for 2-3 minutes until the the greens wilt. Remove from heat & set aside without lid.
- Assembly -
- Line a large mixing bowl with kitchen paper towels. Drain the green beans & place in the bowl. Using a kitchen paper towel pat dry the beans to remove as much moisture as possible.
- Add the edamame & repeat the process with the paper towel. Once the green beans & edamame are dry, remove the paper towels & discard.
- Add the sauteed mushrooms, cooked beets & black-eyed peas. Add the dressing & toss gently.
- To serve, line salad plates or a large salad bowl with wilted beet greens. Mound the salad over the green & scatter croutons over.
- Taste & adjust seasonings.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 424g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 90||44%|
|Total Fat 10.27g||13%|
|Saturated Fat 2.83g||11%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 23.46g||6%|
|Dietary Fiber 7.7g||26%|