Cost per serving $1.67 view details
- 1 lb dry black beans
- 4 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 lb fresh tomatillos husked
- 3 x red onions
- 2 can green chiles - (7 ounce ea)
- 5 x garlic cloves
- 3 x serrano chiles
- 2Â 1/2 lb boneless pork butt
- Â Â Salt - to taste
- Â Â Freshly-grnd black pepper to taste
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 3 c. water (to 4 c.)
- 2 tsp salt - (to 3 tspns)
- 3 x ears yellow corn
- Â Â Lowfat sour cream for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Soak the beans overnight in a large pot of water, or possibly do a quick soak: Place beans in a large pot and cover with twice as much water. Bring to a boil, then immediately cover and take off the heat. Let sit for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, place the tomatillos in a lightly oiled roasting pan. Roast till soft, 20 to 25 min.
- Chop the onions and green chiles into large dice. Mince the garlic and serranos. If you do not want too much heat, seed the chiles.
- Cut the pork into 1-inch cubes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, then add in sufficient of the remaining oil to cover the bottom of the pan. When the oil is warm, add in the meat (work in batches) and brown well on all sides. Remove meat from the pan with a slotted spoon.
- Drain all but 1 Tbsp. oil from the pan. Add in the onions and cook, scraping up the brown bits on the bottom of the pan. Saute/fry for 8 to 10 min, stirring occasionally.
- Add in the garlic and serranos; saute/fry for a few min. Add in the canned chiles and the tomatillos, crushing the tomatillos into chunks with a spoon.
- Add in the meat and beans to the pot, then add in the broth and 3 c. water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a steady simmer and cook for 45 min, stirring occasionally. Add in the extra c. of water as needed to allow beans sufficient liquid to simmer freely.
- Cut off corn kernels with a sharp knife. Set aside.
- After 45 min, check the beans - they should still be somewhat hard. Add in 2 tsp. salt, then simmer till the beans are tender, 15 to 25 min.
- When the beans are tender, add in the corn kernels. Taste for seasoning. Serve garnished with lowfat sour cream.
- This recipe yields 12 servings.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 330g|
|Recipe makes 12 servings|
|Calories from Fat 80||28%|
|Total Fat 9.07g||11%|
|Saturated Fat 1.82g||7%|
|Trans Fat 0.14g|
|Total Carbs 30.23g||8%|
|Dietary Fiber 7.4g||25%|