The frittata is one of the easiest ways to cook eggs. Its not only easy, it also makes for an elegant presentation.
I cooked this for my family's Christmas brunch. We started with a very tasty J.J. Prüm 2005 Wehlener Sonnenuhr Spätlese, fresh boiled bagels my wife made, toped with smoked salmon and cream cheese and all the fixings. The brunch was finished off with a fantastic chocolate torte our son's girlfriend made. This was a real group effort.
I call for Il Primo giardiniera - hot mix. This is an Italian style marinated pepper mix I used to get in Chicago. I now order it by the case from www.eathot.com.
- 6 eggs
- 1 ea 14 oz can water packed artichoke quarters, drained and very roughly chopped (Â½" pieces)
- Â¼ cup Il Primo (or similar) giardiniera - hot mix (Italian style marinated pepper mix)
- 4 oz cream cheese, in Â½" cubes, at room temperature
- Â½ cup sour cream
- salt to taste
- 1 tb butter
- Preheat the oven to 350 deg F.
- Crack eggs into a mixing bowl.
- Add in all other ingredients except the butter and whisk to blend throughly.
- Heat a large oven proof pan (non-stick or well seasoned cast iron works best) and rub the butter over the bottom and sides to lightly coat.
- When the pan is warm, pour in the egg mixture and cook to set the eggs on the bottom.....Do Not Stir The Egg Mix!
- Place the pan into the oven and bake until the eggs are fully set, but be sure not to over cook them.
- If you want to brown the top slightly, when the egg mix is almost fully set, turn off the oven and turn on the broiler. Place the pan about 4" under the broiler until the top just begins to brown, and remove immediately. Its very easy to over cook the frittata doing this but it looks nice.
- NOTE: The time you cook the eggs on the stove top and the time you bake the eggs will vary depending on how deep the egg mixture is in the pan.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 126g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 220||81%|
|Total Fat 24.82g||31%|
|Saturated Fat 12.65g||51%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 2.49g||1%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.0g||0%|