- You can buy ready made cannoli shells
- Cannoli shells - the dough
- 175gr flour,
- 25gr margarine,
- 1/3 cup red wine,
- 1/3 cup water.
- Here is what you'll need for the filling:
- 1kg ricotta,
- 200gr sugar,
- 100gr Chocolate pieces,
- 100gr Chopped roasted almonds,
- 100gr Mixed Chopped candied fruit,
- 1 tot Amaretto / Vermouth.
- Start off by rubbing the margarine and flour together. Next add the red wine and enough water to form dough. Allow this dough to rest for at least an hour before using.
- To make the cannoli shells, you will need stainless steel cylinders which can be bought in any well stocked supermarket, household store or sweet shop. Roll the pastry very thinly and cut into round shapes. The diameter of your shape has to be equal to the length of your cylinder. Now wrap the pastry tightly around a properly greased cylinder and press the edges together. It is very important that you seal the pastry together otherwise it will open up when cooked.
- Deep fry the cannoli in hot oil until golden brown, and allow them to drip and cool on kitchen paper. Once the shapes are cooled, remove the cylinder. The Cannoli are now ready to be filled. At this stage you can keep them for weeks in an airtight container.
- Start off by mashing the ricotta with a fork in a large bowl. Now add the other ingredients one at a time, mix well after every addition. This mixing has to be done by hand since an electric mixer would whiz the ricotta too much.
- Once the ricotta is properly mixed, you can start filling the Cannoli. Always make sure to fill these up at the last minute. Once the Cannoli are filled, the pastry will start to soften so make sure to fill them up just before serving.
- You can also coat the ends with some crushed nuts and drizzle your serving plate with some icing sugar for decoration.